Close Menu
Fund Focus News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • ‘Current valuations make it a good entry point for investors with 5–yr horizon’: Madhu Nair, CEO, Baroda BNP Paribas Mutual Fund  – Business News
    • Equity mutual fund AUM hits record Rs 48.5 lakh crore in July; active schemes grow 13.3%: NSE
    • Mutual Fund Strategy: What happens when you invest Rs 10 lakh lump sum and leave it untouched for 10 years?
    • Equity mutual fund AUM touches all-time high in July: NSE
    • Mutual Fund Strategy: What happens when you combine Rs 1 lakh lump sum with Rs 8,333 monthly SIP?
    • Bitcoin and Ethereum ETFs Score Biggest Week Since October with $2.3 Billion
    • How a mutual fund’s AUM impacts returns: Should investors worry when it grows too large?
    • SIP Calculator: I am 30 years old. How much monthly SIP do I need to build a corpus of ₹5 crore by retirement?
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Fund Focus News
    • Home
    • Bonds
    • ETFs
    • Funds
    • Investments
    • Mutual Funds
    • Property Investments
    • SIP
    Fund Focus News
    Home»Bonds»Officials will lobby Burnham to revive ‘war bonds’ idea to pay for higher defence spending | Defence policy
    Bonds

    Officials will lobby Burnham to revive ‘war bonds’ idea to pay for higher defence spending | Defence policy

    June 24, 2026


    Senior government officials are planning to lobby Andy Burnham during access talks to revive the idea of “war bonds” to pay for higher defence spending when he becomes prime minister, the Guardian understands.

    Senior figures, including some in No 10, want the Treasury to be allowed to borrow more for military spending and will try to convince Burnham to invest beyond the £13.5bn earmarked for the long-awaited Defence Investment Plan (Dip).

    Defence aides are also understood to have travelled to Makerfield during the byelection campaign to bring Burnham’s team up to speed on the state of the UK’s depleted defence capabilities.

    Although Burnham is now expected to enter Downing Street with the Dip already signed off, he will still come under heavy pressure from military leaders and others within the government to increase defence spending in the long term.

    Keir Starmer confirmed on Wednesday he would announce the Dip before the Nato summit in Ankara on 7 and 8 July even though he leaves the following week, with No 10 arguing that while it is a big spending commitment, it is an existing one.

    But he has faced criticism from some Labour MPs for pressing ahead with such an important policy issue, rather than leaving it to his likely successor who has told them he wants to give the Ministry of Defence (MoD) more than the £13.5bn on offer.

    Burnham’s allies say that if the row over defence spending has been resolved by the time he takes over – amid signs that a little extra money has been found and the settlement accepted by military leaders – then he would probably just move on.

    However, his team is reserving the right to reopen the Dip if that is not the case – with, for example, mismanaged programmes such as tanks investment left unaddressed and the concerns of the defence establishment unallayed.

    Burnham is believed to have held discussions with John Healey at the the likely next prime minister’s request, who pushed Starmer’s premiership to the brink when he quit as defence secretary earlier this week, arguing the Dip fell well short of what was required.

    On Wednesday the head of the armed forces, air chief marshal Sir Richard Knighton, said that Britain needs to fund capable armed forces that ​can go “toe to toe with Russia” and beyond, because if deterrence ​were to fail​ ​an all out war would be more costly.

    Emphasising the need for investment, Knighton said that the UK needed “armed forces that our adversaries are scared of” at a conference organised by the Royal United Services Institute.

    British defence spending “went from 2.9% in 1936, to 9% in 1939, to 52% of GDP in 1945​,” Knighton said, dramatically beyond the target spend of 2.7% of GDP next year, even though few believe all out war is likely.

    With Starmer giving the green light to access talks, No 10 sources said they would use them to encourage Burnham to reconsider defence bonds, which have consistently been blocked by the Treasury amid warnings over the impact of higher borrowing.

    The government had come close to issuing war bonds to pay for higher defence spending before. The Guardian understands that Morgan McSweeney, Starmer’s former chief of staff, had started pushing for them before he quit. But the plan was rejected by the Treasury.

    Under the plans drawn up in No 10 and championed by Starmer’s business adviser Varun Chandra, the government would have issued up to £20bn of bonds which would have been exempt from inheritance tax.

    The money raised would only be used to pay for defence spending – a limitation the Treasury has always resisted in the past. Because there would be a tax benefit to owning them, advocates of the idea believe the government would have had to pay a lower interest rate, helping bring down its overall cost of borrowing.

    They also say it would have encouraged domestic individual investors to buy bonds, something that has faded in recent years as large hedge funds have become an increasingly important source of credit.

    Some in government believe the UK would be paying less for public borrowing if more domestic investors owned bonds, as they believe hedge funds are more likely to sell gilts because of small fluctuations in the market.

    Other Labour MPs have pressed for the UK to back the Defence Security and Resilience Bank initiative, led by Canada. Countries are being asked to sign up at the Nato summit next month, but the scheme supported by Healey when he was in government was opposed by the Treasury.

    Alex Baker, a member of the defence select committee, said in a recent article the bank, which would specialise in lending to small defence companies, would “turn political commitments into industrial output” and that it would “create the conditions for more factories, jobs, exports, innovation and resilient supply chains”.

    Proponents argue that for a UK subscription of £900m, the UK would gain access to a bank with €100bn (£86bn) of lending capability. Earlier this week, Rachel Reeves, the chancellor, said she was talking to Canada – but also developing a “multilateral defence mechanism” of off balance sheet financing with Finland and the Netherlands.

    During a cabinet meeting on Tuesday, Starmer told his ministers he wanted to “resolve difficult issues” in his remaining weeks in office to help with the transition, including publishing the Dip which has been delayed over funding disputes between No 10, the Treasury and the MoD.

    Dan Jarvis, the new defence secretary, has signalled he is already looking for more funding and said he was involved in “very good and constructive” discussions. Other departments have been asked to make cuts to their budgets to allow Starmer to reallocate funds.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

    Related Posts

    Premium bonds: more chance of win as NS&I ups prize fund rate again | Savings

    August 21, 2026

    Investors warned against mini bonds after latest collapse

    August 20, 2026

    Irregular income? Bonds can bring some rhythm to it

    August 20, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    ‘Current valuations make it a good entry point for investors with 5–yr horizon’: Madhu Nair, CEO, Baroda BNP Paribas Mutual Fund  – Business News

    August 23, 2026

    The Shifting Landscape of Art Investment and the Rise of Accessibility: The London Art Exchange

    September 11, 2023

    Charlie Cobham: The Art Broker Extraordinaire Maximizing Returns for High Net Worth Clients

    February 12, 2024

    The Unyielding Resilience of the Art Market: A Historical and Contemporary Perspective

    November 19, 2023
    Don't Miss
    Mutual Funds

    ‘Current valuations make it a good entry point for investors with 5–yr horizon’: Madhu Nair, CEO, Baroda BNP Paribas Mutual Fund  – Business News

    August 23, 2026

    Madhu Nair, CEO, Baroda BNP Paribas Mutual Fund, shares his views on valuations in the…

    Equity mutual fund AUM hits record Rs 48.5 lakh crore in July; active schemes grow 13.3%: NSE

    August 23, 2026

    Mutual Fund Strategy: What happens when you invest Rs 10 lakh lump sum and leave it untouched for 10 years?

    August 23, 2026

    Equity mutual fund AUM touches all-time high in July: NSE

    August 22, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    EDITOR'S PICK

    Madhu Nair, Union MF CEO

    July 15, 2024

    Best gilt mutual funds to invest in August 2024

    August 26, 2024

    Les banques centrales surveillent la montée du risque systémique

    April 9, 2025
    Our Picks

    ‘Current valuations make it a good entry point for investors with 5–yr horizon’: Madhu Nair, CEO, Baroda BNP Paribas Mutual Fund  – Business News

    August 23, 2026

    Equity mutual fund AUM hits record Rs 48.5 lakh crore in July; active schemes grow 13.3%: NSE

    August 23, 2026

    Mutual Fund Strategy: What happens when you invest Rs 10 lakh lump sum and leave it untouched for 10 years?

    August 23, 2026
    Most Popular

    🔥Juve target Chukwuemeka, Inter raise funds, Elmas bid in play 🤑

    August 20, 2025

    💵 Libra responds after Flamengo takes legal action and ‘freezes’ funds

    September 26, 2025

    ₹9000 monthly SIP can help you retire at 45 with ₹2 lakh monthly pension

    May 5, 2026
    © 2026 Fund Focus News
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.