Close Menu
Fund Focus News
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • Are mutual funds becoming India’s default savings engine? SEBI data shows this
    • Just 35 mutual funds are attracting most of India’s dip-buying money | Personal Finance
    • Soon you can authorise employer to make your mutual fund payments
    • Sebi proposes to permit third-party payment in mutual funds in certain scenarios
    • SEBI proposes easing third-party payment norms in mutual funds
    • SEBI proposes allowing limited third-party payments in mutual funds
    • Cheapest SBI funds in 2026: Top-rated schemes with up to 28% annual returns in 3 years – Money News
    • Best conservative hybrid mutual funds to invest in May 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Fund Focus News
    • Home
    • Bonds
    • ETFs
    • Funds
    • Investments
    • Mutual Funds
    • Property Investments
    • SIP
    Fund Focus News
    Home»Funds»First Brands’ founder regains access to funds as court rejects asset freeze
    Funds

    First Brands’ founder regains access to funds as court rejects asset freeze

    November 12, 2025


    Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

    Roula Khalaf, Editor of the FT, selects her favourite stories in this weekly newsletter.

    The founder of failed car parts maker First Brands will regain access to his personal bank accounts after a judge rejected the company’s attempt to extend a freeze on his assets.

    Judge Christopher Lopez of US bankruptcy court in Houston said the company had not shown sufficient evidence to meet the high bar required for an injunction blocking Patrick James from his bank accounts. He added it was an “extraordinary remedy” that should only be used in “rare circumstances”.

    “The public interest is best served by not granting the injunction at this time,” he said. “I have to have a substantial threat of irreparable injury. I can’t just have speculation.”

    Michael Carlinsky, global co-managing partner of law firm Quinn Emanuel, which represents James, told the Financial Times he believed First Brands “grossly over-reached” in seeking the asset freeze and said he was looking forward to “further vindication” of his client.

    “We’re proud that we were able to beat back [First Brands’] efforts to freeze Mr James’ assets,” Carlinsky said.

    The company, now under new management, sued James earlier this month, accusing him of siphoning vast sums from it over several years to fund a “lavish lifestyle”.

    First Brands collapsed into bankruptcy in September after it was unable to refinance billions of dollars of debt. It filed for court protection with $12mn in its bank accounts despite having nearly $12bn of liabilities, raising questions about how the company had failed and why it was left with so little cash.

    The court granted a temporary restraining order against James last week, which froze his assets while the company continued to investigate allegations that hundreds of millions of dollars had been moved into his personal accounts.

    At a hearing on Monday, lawyers for First Brands accused James of “misappropriating” huge sums, adding he spent company funds on luxuries such as a private chef and personal trainer. The group also accused him of fraudulently raising loans for the company through “doctored” invoices.

    Charles Moore, the company’s new chief executive from consultancy firm Alvarez & Marsal, during the hearing on Monday cited “dummy invoices” in transfers of funds to the founder’s personal bank accounts.

    But lawyers for James successfully argued the asset freeze requests were “grossly overbroad”, and introduced evidence showing funds also moved from his personal accounts into company coffers.

    Lopez also concluded there was no evidence showing James himself manipulated invoices.

    The judge conceded questions loom over First Brands, especially how roughly $2bn disappeared from the company’s bank accounts before it filed for bankruptcy.

    “There are red flags everywhere in the cash management system,” Lopez said during the hearing on Wednesday. “There were questionable transfers, and people in the company knew about it.”

    Lopez added James no longer runs the company or has access to its current assets, and does not pose a threat to its business. “Everyone is going to have their day in court,” the judge said. “And have the opportunity to present and prosecute or defend themselves.”

    First Brands did not respond to a request for comment.



    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email

    Related Posts

    Skip the Bank: Host Says Short-Term Bond Funds Offer Superior Yields Without the Savings Account Risk

    May 19, 2026

    Investment Banker Reveals Why Pension Funds Choose Worse Returns Than a Simple 60/40 Index Portfolio

    May 18, 2026

    Markets under pressure, rupee weakens. Are index funds a safer long-term bet?

    May 18, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Posts

    The Shifting Landscape of Art Investment and the Rise of Accessibility: The London Art Exchange

    September 11, 2023

    Charlie Cobham: The Art Broker Extraordinaire Maximizing Returns for High Net Worth Clients

    February 12, 2024

    The Unyielding Resilience of the Art Market: A Historical and Contemporary Perspective

    November 19, 2023

    Are mutual funds becoming India’s default savings engine? SEBI data shows this

    May 21, 2026
    Don't Miss
    Mutual Funds

    Are mutual funds becoming India’s default savings engine? SEBI data shows this

    May 21, 2026

    India’s understanding of household savings may have been significantly underestimated until now. A revised methodology…

    Just 35 mutual funds are attracting most of India’s dip-buying money | Personal Finance

    May 21, 2026

    Soon you can authorise employer to make your mutual fund payments

    May 20, 2026

    Sebi proposes to permit third-party payment in mutual funds in certain scenarios

    May 20, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo
    EDITOR'S PICK

    Blackbird Leys playground charity may close over lack of funds

    November 6, 2025

    Goldwind Successfully Issues RMB2 Billion Green Bonds

    August 21, 2024

    Hong Kong reduces coupon in 10th batch of Silver Bonds ahead of Fed’s expected rate cut

    August 29, 2025
    Our Picks

    Are mutual funds becoming India’s default savings engine? SEBI data shows this

    May 21, 2026

    Just 35 mutual funds are attracting most of India’s dip-buying money | Personal Finance

    May 21, 2026

    Soon you can authorise employer to make your mutual fund payments

    May 20, 2026
    Most Popular

    🔥Juve target Chukwuemeka, Inter raise funds, Elmas bid in play 🤑

    August 20, 2025

    💵 Libra responds after Flamengo takes legal action and ‘freezes’ funds

    September 26, 2025

    ₹9000 monthly SIP can help you retire at 45 with ₹2 lakh monthly pension

    May 5, 2026
    © 2026 Fund Focus News
    • Get In Touch
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.